Baked goods can be difficult to make and can require lots of ingredients. However, appliance expert Russell Hobbs have shared a range of simple but delicious recipes including shortbread, flapjack and meringue. They all require four ingredients or less which you probably already have in your kitchen cupboards.
• 125g butter
• 55g caster sugar, plus extra to finish
• 180g plain flour
1. Heat the oven to 190 degree celsius.
2. Beat the butter and the sugar together using a hand mixer until smooth.
3. Stir in the flour to get a smooth paste.
4. Turn on to a work surface and gently roll out until around one cm in thickness.
5. Cut into rounds or fingers and place onto a baking tray.
6. Sprinkle with caster sugar and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
7. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until pale golden-brown.
8. Set aside to cool on a wire rack.
Although this recipe requires more steps, it only includes three ingredients so you know exactly what is going into your bake.
1. Preheat the oven to 120 degrees celsius, and line a tray with baking paper.
2. Sift the sugars and set aside.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until fairly stiff.
4. Add half the sugar and continue whisking until smooth and stiff peaks have formed.
5. Lightly fold in the remaining sugar with a metal spoon.
6. Spoon or pipe the mixture into 2cm deep circles.
7. Cook on the lowest shelf for around one hour.
8. Cool on a wire rack.
When whisking the mixture, it is important not to stop until stiff peaks have formed.
If the mixture is still slightly runny, the meringues will spread on the baking sheet and will end up flat rather than crispy shells.